In the early 1900’s, J. Gustave St. Julien built, what is now known as BJ’s, for his son L.F. St. Julien Sr. and daughter Regina St. Julien. Regina’s husband, Lucien Ducrest, ran the building as a drug store. Cecile, the sister of L.F. and Regina, and her husband Edmond are the grandparents of Walter Comeaux, former city parish president.
Lucien used the store for many years. He used it as a drug store, post office, and even shared it with Roy Billeaud while Billeauds was being built.
In 1948, Emile Billeaud, grandson of Gustave St. Julien, used the building as a grocery store. Emile eventually went into farming and rented the building out to Harry Conrad. Harry used the building as a warehouse for the overflow of used furniture and appliances from his furniture store.
In the late 1960’s, the building was renovated and rented to Rebecca Landry who used it as a branch of Gerami’s Dancing School. In the early 1970’s, it became Jo’s Sandwich Shop under the management of Josephine Spenser. Jo married and moved to Houston, leaving her shop under new management. Eventually the name was changed to BJ’s.
In 1995, Glenn Murphree bought the business. He kept the name BJ’s, but made it “in the Olde Tyme tradition” as a Poor Boy shop. Today, BJ’s serves poor boys and plate lunches daily to the Broussard community.